Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Friday, May 17, 2013

PERMA-TAN


Waiting for summer is like waiting for Godot.  This elusive season seems an eternity in coming this year and I’m desperate to finish painting my decking balustrade blue (I’m going for that Greek holiday look) and tan my anaemic looking legs for my daughter’s wedding in July.  At this rate, my shins are going to resemble uncooked cannelloni instead of toasted tea cakes and that most definitely won’t do. 


Imagine Greek holiday without austerity measures


As the sun is unlikely to oblige between now and then, I’ve had to come up with a cunning plan to acquire that healthy sun-bronzed glow.  I have turned to the ‘bottle’ or rather something called ‘self-tanning wet wipes’ in desperation.  Just swish across pale, cannelloni like legs and in next to no time, you’ll be as tanned as Des O’Connor – simples!


How to acquire that California babe look on a budget


“Proceed with caution” I told myself as the ‘Des’ look might not be that flattering on an older woman with footballers legs that Maradona would kill for.  But if you snooze, you lose and so on Tuesday night after a good scrubbing in the bath and lashings of moisturiser applied, I rolled up my PJ trouser legs in the kitchen and got down to the messy business of bronzing.

Legs are like lawns; full of lumps, bumps and unsightly sticky-out tufts.  It’s not easy trying to wipe them down with a small square of flimsy cloth in circular motions to avoid streaks or smears appearing in your tan.  ‘Much less bovver with a hover’ I recalled from the old Flymo advert.

An hour later, my legs looked no darker than they had 60 minutes earlier.  Well I could hardly expect miracles from a packet of 99p wipes bought from a local Savers store, could I?  I’m sure Des and other worshippers of the great God Perma-Tan probably spend a darn sight more than a quid just to get than sun-baked look.

However, things always look better in the morning and after a good night’s sleep, I’m now the proud owner of two slightly frankfurterish coloured legs.  Yes, I’m sure they’re looking a tad browner than they were at the start of the week although that could just be the power of the mind compensating for my being a complete cheapskate in the purchase of tanning products.

MORE ABOUT:
Des O'Connor - http://desoconnornow.com/


No comments: