Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Saturday, July 12, 2014

PAPA'S GOT A BRAND NEW LAP TOP

I’d never thought I’d see the day when my father would express the desire to join the technical revolution but he has and that day is now.  Yes it’s true.  Papa’s got a brand new lap top!   The Ancient Mariner is about to become a silver surfer (wetsuit optional).

Thanks to Bill Gates and his amazing app based Windows 8, teaching an 80 year old about PC’s is not the impossible task I thought it might be.  He only wants a laptop to use as an SD card reader when he goes to Spain so everything else is either a bonus (for Papa) or a simple case of ‘you don’t really need to know that’.  First lesson consisted of showing him how to click here, click there, scroll down a bit and imparting that super important piece of PC wisdom "whatever you do, don’t touch that button".  I only lost my temper about 3 times which is not bad going for me. 

To help him practice internet surfing, I’ve bookmarked a few interesting web sites for him to view – Poole tide times and Golf Today.  I expect my phone to be ringing off the hook over the next few weeks with technical support related queries such as ‘I touched that button you told me not to and now I can’t see my photos’ or ‘my dongle’s not working properly’ which I believe is quite common for men his age.  

You're never too old to learn!

No comments: