Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Monday, May 07, 2018

DEMOLITION DERBY

And talking of yellow, I’ve developed an unhealthy fixation for corn on the cob ever since dining at Charminster’s new Canadian restaurant ‘Moose Kitchen’.  What a gem of a place!  Hidden behind a bus shelter, this eating emporium serves up tasty traditional grub with a Canadian twist and everything’s accompanied by the most delicious corn on the cob.  It’s not often I get a taste for just one thing but now I want corn cobs morning, noon and night. 

To take my mind off mouth-watering buttery corn cobs, I’m spending my bank holiday demolishing the bathroom.  I could be down the beach as it’s the first time in decades the words ‘bank holiday’ and ‘sunshine’ have actually appeared in the same sentence but instead of battling grockles for parking and a patch of sand, I’m beating the crap out of  wood cladding.

Before demolition starts

Mosaic tiles prised off

Wood cladding gone

Demolishing the old bathroom décor is a lot easier than I thought it would be and strangely satisfying.  It’s funny how things are always quicker to take down than put up.  Carefully using a wide scraper and mallet to prise off the mosaic tiles, most of it has come off without damaging the plaster wall surface. 

Taking care not to gouge the plaster wall

Doesn't everyone decorate in their slippers?

As a £200 day rate appears to be the norm for every trades-person these days then I’ve taken the lazy option and booked a tiler to put up the metro tiles.  He’ll be far quicker than I will be and it’ll be less stressful all round. 

So now we’re on the clock to get everything else done before 9 June.  There’s nothing like a deadline to maintain focus on the task in hand.

I could be watching the GT3 racing but instead I'm doing this

After the demolition squad have been

It won't look like this for long

At least Shelby’s making the most of the bank holiday weekend by soaking up those rays before the summer rains arrive.

Topping up the tortoise tan


No comments: