Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

WATERSTON MANOR


Three cheers for Dorset Gardens Trust for organising yet another memorable day out in the English countryside!  This year’s Garden Day saw us heading off to Thomas Hardy country to visit Waterston Manor, an Elizabethan pile in the heart of the Dorset near Puddletown.   It’s a beautiful old house as you can see from some of our photos, complete with woodland walk, an orchard and water meadows leading down to the nearby River Piddle.  Far from the Madding Crowd is spot on as Waterston Manor was used as the model for Weatherbury Farm in the famous Hardy novel of the same name.

Side view of the Manor House

Waterston Manor 


What I love about these Garden Days is not only the chance to see posh houses and gardens that are not usually open to the public but also the extensive plant sales that take place in the grounds.  I couldn’t believe my eyes when we walked under the entrance archway and all I could see was row upon row of plant stalls.  I’m sure I slobbered round like a gibbering idiot for the first half hour.

Plants for sale

Having forgotten to visit a cashpoint en route, my shopping habit was restricted to the meagre £15 left in my purse but I still managed to balance the budget and come away with:
  •  Eryngium Agavifolium (£3.50)
  • Eryngium Sapphire Blue (£7.50)
  • Thalictrum Delavayi (£3.50) 

These events are recommended for both old and young gardeners as there’s something for all and you’re bound to find some delightful flowery treasure amongst all the plants for sale.  

White climbing roses 

Cottage style borders

Shady garden

Back of the house

Lime tree walk

Water meadows 


MORE ABOUT:


Dorset Gardens Trust -  http://www.dorsetgardenstrust.co.uk/

No comments: