Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

PICTURE PERFECT

Splashed out on a couple of new Olympus cameras with my punitive banker’s bonus.  The Wolf of Wall Street may have been able to fritter away his ill-gotten gains on porsches, pills and prostitutes but my fiscally challenged year end slice of pie didn't even stretch to a camera case or couple of spare lithium batteries.  But as I’m always reminded at home, even £500 is better than a poke in the eye.  Not bitter at all.  

Of course it’s all well and good having the latest gadgetry if you know how to use it.  Trouble is, my technical know-how is on a par with blancmange and they’re not much good at using cameras either. It’s all a question of practice so off to the New Forest I went to fiddle with all the settings. 

Camera 1 – Olympus Stylus SH50.  Small, compact and pretty much idiot proof.  Has a nice wide screen, plenty of buttons to press, an impressive 24 x optical zoom and lots of fabulous magic filters/effects to help you really get arty farty. 

My favourite filter effect – dramatic.  It’s just perfect for that moody sky or sinister trees.

Before - no filter effect

Same clouds taken with 'dramatic' filter

Fragmented filter - tiles your image
 
Sparkle filter - brings out the spangles

Super macro muscari

Camera 2 – Olympus EPL5.  Can still be used by idiots but largely those with prodigious memories who can navigate round an extensive set of menus.  Less buttons to press but more menu choices than McDonalds.  Other major difference to the Stylus SH50 are the lenses.  For DSLR virgins like me, lenses are a whole new ball game.  Still, I did manage to figure out how to pop the cap off before taking my snaps. 

Moss - with nature macro setting

Sunlight through the trees

Tree bark and that's just the pancake lens

Loving my new toys and can't wait to test out a few more features in the garden.


MORE ABOUT:



No comments: