Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Monday, May 18, 2015

WINDOW TO THE SOUL

Eyes are the window to the soul so some believe but here is our new window to the patio. Precariously propped in situ with random timber supports, the side window to the kitchen is being made smaller by the builders who are raising the windowsill level to above work top height in order to accommodate the sink unit. 

Replacement window overlooking patio

“Do you want to keep the architrave madam as it’s not a very modern thing to have?” coded builder speak that roughly translates into ‘too much of a faff to put back’. Pause in telephone conversation whilst he’s thinking “Hmm, loads of effort to mitre new corners, not to mention the fact that we’re not all that careful when ripping out the old Victorian features. Better off with a bit of plastered edging.” Meanwhile, I’m hanging on the other end of my mobile phone in the office corridor on my way to the ladies toilet, wincing at the loss of a nice bit of fancy woodwork and cursing the demise of good old fashioned carpentry skills. Not wanting to appear a troublesome client or un-hip by quibbling on the latest DIY trends, I hastily agree to kiss goodbye to the window architrave and return to my spreadsheets.

After day one - tiles off & appliances disconnected

Not surprisingly, I arrived home from the office to find the oven and kitchen sink already disconnected. So soon? I’d been counting on the appliances remaining in use at least until tomorrow night’s online shopping delivery of microwaveable meals and pot-noodle but these builders don’t hang about. Still look on the bright side, I’ve finally found a use for that supply of children’s party plates and plastic tumblers I’ve been hoarding since my son’s 10th birthday and the other half is rejoicing in not having to wash up. He’s magically freed up some play-station time without having to come up with a plausible excuse!

No comments: