Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Sunday, June 14, 2015

LESS IS MORE

There’s a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza. There’s also paint all over my trainers as hours earlier I managed to poke a hole in the bottom of an old tin of paint and found myself submerged in a Dulux mini lake.

Unexpected hole in bottom of old paint tin

Super scrimpers take note. If you decide that it’s OK to use leftover paint to base coat dry plaster, best check there aren’t any rusty holes in the bottom of the tin before you start painting.

Plaster is all nice and dry after almost 2 weeks

Not all walls were re-plastered

Dry plaster is very thirsty. Almost as thirsty as I am as it’s been at least 4 hours since my last cup of tea. Less paint is more effective for base coating dry plaster and our builders recommended a diluted mix of 3 parts paint to 1 part water hence the thinking it might be best to use leftover paint for this first coat.


Working my way round the walls

And now for the fiddly bits 

It has taken all day to key in all the edges and slap a good coat of paint onto the plaster. My intention is to put 3 coats of paint on the walls, a base coat of leftover paint followed by a second coat of the good stuff then a final coat once all the units have been installed. A bit excessive perhaps but this will hopefully cover up any defects from plastering.

After many emails and web investigation, the search for Titanic Verde tiles turned up nothing so I’ve decided to buy the Dakar black/green tiles from Ebay as the closest match to my own floor tiles. Hoping the builders can lay these for me as part of the project.

Kitchen delivery is scheduled for next Thursday and I’ve no idea where any of it is going to go as both the dining room and lounge are now so full you couldn’t swing a cat in them (it’s OK puss, I’m not going to give it a try!).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing progress and it is looking good. I thought a mist coat was three parts water to 1 part paint. The weaker you make it the less chance you have of the paint sitting on top of the plaster. Of course, the test is afterwards whether you can scratch it off with a fingernail. Senor Pringo XXX