Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Thursday, July 26, 2018

DECO PARADISO

It’s 11.30 am and I’ve just had my daily ‘crack’ fix – Dulux not drugs as I’ve spent the last couple of days off work refreshing the ceiling and coving in daughter’s bedroom with some of that marvellous white crack-free paint.  It’s become my ‘go to’ emulsion for sprucing up tired, grey ceilings as it does leave them looking like brand new.

New coving before painting

Two coats of emulsion and a coat of crack free paint to finish

As a teenager, I berated my parents a thousand times for not letting me festoon my bedroom in posters of Mark Bolan or David Bowie and decades later I now know why the answer was always categorically ‘NO’ to sticking things up on the wall.  Growing up in the 1970’s I suppose I should have been grateful for having a bedroom with walls.  Nowadays, kids would be ringing Social Services and reporting their parents for child abuse. 

Just say 'NO' 
  
Blu Tack!  This and double sided sticky pads are the work of the devil when it comes to decorating walls.  Blu Tack leaves small greasy marks which can sometimes be difficult to paint over and sticky pads, well that’s a different kettle of fish…  Ironically, both of these are best removed with a large lump of Blu Tack and hairdryer.  My advice to parents facing the poster dilemma – apply lining paper to your walls first or better still, sell your children on Ebay.

Remove sticky stuff from walls before painting

But now it’s time for a spot of wallpapering.  No tradesmen this time round, it’s a case of ‘do it yourself’ as it’s only 1 feature wall.

In keeping with my new 1930’s theme, I’ve bought a wonderful geometric vinyl called Deco Paradiso.  This paintable, luxury vinyl Anaglypta paper is available from B&Q (£7.50 per roll) and has a beautiful fan style motif.

Paintable, luxury vinyl wallpaper from B&Q

Deco Paradiso with it's lovely geometric design

Pattern matching is fairly straight forward on this design and there’s not too much wastage, three rolls was more than enough to cover the entire wall. 

To save time, have all your kit to hand

Paste paper then leave to soak

Starting in the corner and work to the middle

Paper centred across the chimney breast

Finished wallpapered feature wall


Wait until completely dry (which shouldn’t be too long is this hot weather) before painting.

Wallpapering?  I think it's time for a cat nap


No comments: