Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

CORNICE CHOICES

Cornice anyone? – it’d be rude not to.  

If I can’t have the cupboard of my dreams then I’m going to have fancy coving instead.  The plain old coving that was ripped out is being replaced with a decorative profile plaster cornice. 

I’ve found a website called Plaster Coving Ltd UK that caters for every coving fantasy from the plain bog standard (this is not a brand) to one’s with every embellishment imaginable.  Decisions, decisions – it’s taken me 3 hours just to select 4 profile samples from the extensive catalogue of cornice.  I imagine Boris goes through the same Covid dilemma – do we fine people £800 or £1000 for parties?   Good job dinner (prepared earlier) was in the slow cooker or we’d have been very hungry.

 

Large Lancaster profile

Medium Lancaster profile

Medium Concave

Concave profile

In keeping with my passion of all things Deco, I am torn between the ‘Traditional Stepped’ and the ‘Medium Concave’ designs.

 

Traditional Stepped profile

The difference?  Think belly buttons.  It’s a case of do I go for an ‘inny’ or an ‘outey’ profile? 

Both look lovely held against the wall.  You can feel the quality of the product from the thickness and weight of the sample sent, its milky smoothness and faintly powdery texture.  Although I’m sure there are a great many fans of the more modern flexible polymer and polyurethane varieties, I always think the plaster type feels right and looks more solid but at the end of the day, choice is largely governed by budget although for this, I think it would be worth pushing the boat out. 

Okay so I’m leaning more towards the concave profile because I’ve got an ‘inny’ belly button and using your own anatomy is as good as flipping a coin or using any other way of making a final decision.  I do think the concave one looks more streamlined pressed in toward the corner rather than poking out.  What do you think?  Am I just being anal about the whole thing, after all it’s just a bit of coving right? 

Contrary to the above and after hours of naval gazing, yes you guessed – I’ve gone with the Traditional Stepped (the first one I liked) even though it’s an ‘outey’ design but it’s the Deco looking stepped part that swung it.  Cost to buy enough coving for both bedrooms plus the whole of the downstairs corridor has come to around £350 including delivery.  It’s official, my age is now greater than my bank balance!


1 comment:

WILLIE...! =(^..^)= said...

Cornice is a lovely word to juggle with..
HeHe! When l first saw the heading..l thought,
hello..they've bought a Rolls Royce..! costing
£80,000...? HeHe! :).

But l do know it's an Italian word meaning ledge..
It's a road built along a coast and especially along
the face of a cliff...So don't look down..!

I do love the cornice on the outside of buildings,
those huge elaborate things..amazing, though in this
country it's just called guttering..! :). Sad! :(

Still, nice to see your getting on with things, once
you've crossed the 'border' you'll be on yer way again!
"Cornice pasty for tea"...! :).