Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Thursday, June 03, 2021

CROMARTY

Like Boris, I have a confession to make about my property refurbishment.  I’ve cheated.  And lied.  About my bedroom paint.  Call the tabloids, it’s a national scandal! 

I’ve always been a Dulux gal but wanted to try out Farrow & Ball on the walls just to see what all the fuss was about.  Is F&B really worth raving about or is it another clever piece of marketing guff?  And the price, I mean £84 for a 5L tin, it’s disgraceful!  It’s paint for Christ sakes not Christian Dior perfume! 


Farrow & Ball - is it really worth it?


The thought of spending around £200 to buy enough F&B paint to slather over our very large bedroom doesn’t appeal to my super scrimper nature but Cromarty is the only shade of chalky greenish grey that I really like – arghhh! 

So, I’ve cheated.  Oh, come on don’t look so outraged.  Everyone’s at it.  Every paint forum’s recommending it, every refurba-blogger has blagged it, pretty much anyone with an ounce of sense is at it.  I bet even Boris thought about it.  We’re all turning up at the local colour mixing desk with a scrap of paper slathered in our favourite shade of expensive designer emulsion and hoping for a similar but cheaper version.  

There’s not a hint of remorse or stealth about this practice either.  Only a couple of weeks ago, the lady queueing in front of me at Homebase’s mixing desk pulled out 2 F&B tester pots, asked for a bit of paper, smeared the lid paint across it then asked the shop assistant for a match.  The bare faced cheek of this act shocked me to the core but do you know what?   She got away with it. 

I took my £5 F&B tester pot of Cromarty emulsion home then used it to produce my own lighter shade of chalky green before trotting back to the mixing desk with my painted bit of scrap paper thus saving myself a small fortune but getting the colour I really wanted. 

The moral of this story, dear readers, is this – he/she who dares wins.  It looks like F&B but is in fact Dulux.  Of course, I’ll be telling everyone it’s F&B because that’s what us paint blaggers do.  All’s fair in love, war and decorating!


Charity shop bargains to add character to the room

Putting the finishing touches to the room

Hurrah! Our room is almost done



No comments: