Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

POLE TO POLE

There’s no point working at a builders’ merchants if you can’t pick someone’s brains about your latest project or take advantage of staff discounts and this is exactly what I’ve been doing in order to get my head round the next stage of refurbishment – painting the stairwell.

 

Gary Larson - Right tools for the job

It feels somewhat slutty sauntering up to the trade counter at work and asking to see the shop assistant’s big pole (nudge, nudge).  A sacking offence for sure in these PC times.  But the last laugh is always theirs when 6ft something Marek steps out from behind the galvanised shelf brackets armed with his retractable tape measure and toothless grin, the font of all DIY knowledge. Worth a try!

It would be easy to blow over £100 on one of those fancy Werner combination ladders, the type you can fold more times than an origami swan but after one use, what do you do with it?  Another dust gathering gadget to clog up the garage and I’ve already been banned from there.


I've got the house so it's only fair he gets the garage


So, using my newly acquired powers of staff discount I’ve opted for a budget friendly ‘big pole’.  It’s a whopper!  Fully extended, this is the Godzilla of paint poles – a monster!  On tip toes I’m sure I could reach up and paint the Chi cathedral spire.  OK so maybe that’s a little exaggerated but you get my drift, it’s a big ‘un.

 

You may be big but you don't scare me

For any other short-arses out there (or Oompa Loompas) who might be in my predicament, this could be the answer.  It’s a Harris work smarter extension pole.  Sleek, shiny and girl friendly, fully extended this pole will allow you go paint the longest stairwell walls from standing. 

 

This pole is the dog's b******s

There’s no faffing about on precariously positioned ladders with one of these.  No more stretching across death defying gaps with a paint brush taped to a broom handle whispering 10 Hail Marys in the hope of a half decent paint job on the stairs.  This is the business!


How will I reach the tall bits?


And what’s more, your roller handle isn’t likely to fall off because using a Harris work smarter roller frame, it screws in neatly onto the end of the pole and is solidly fixed. 

 

Lightweight and easy to use

Another nice user-friendly feature is the fact you can extend the pole to your desired length and lock it into position with a tight twist of the black connector.  No fiddly, complicated mechanisms that only work with strong manly hands – even my delicate little mitts managed to get a good lock on the thing. 

I never thought I’d hear myself say ‘I can’t wait to start painting’ but that’s the sad truth of it - it’s been quite exciting getting a firm grip on a big pole!


Top to bottom and not a ladder in sight


No comments: