Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

WAITING FOR 'SHEDOT'

Did I just hear a collective cyber-groan from all you ‘thesps’ out there?  Ok, I’ll admit it is a very bad title pun but I really can’t come up with anything better right now.  

Finally, after months of patiently waiting (and as I’m sure you’ll have realised by now, patience is NOT one of my virtues), the new shed has arrived at last.  Hurrah! 

 

8 X 6ft shed - Skinners Sheds, Chichester

I may have mentioned a few posts ago that I have plans for this wonderful wooden edifice.  It’s not going to be just any old shed, of course not.  Everybody has a bog standard old shed but then I’m not like everybody. 

Whilst the shed is mostly going to act as a storage facility for all my craft stall gear it is also going to double up as an emporium of curiosities, a home for all my perfect pebbles, sea shells, fossils and all those other oddities accumulated on life’s journey that don’t have a home elsewhere.

 

The Emporium of Curiosities

But there’s a way to go before the emporium of curiosities can be opened to the public.  First there’s the task of preparing the shed’s interior so that it’s weatherproof and decorated.  

Additional flooring support in the form of 18mm thick OSB3 sheets has been laid on top of the existing floor.  

The rear wall has been lined in spruce cladding laid horizontally across the wall’s timber battens.  These are going to be primed then painted black.

 

14mm thick spruce cladding laid horizontally across back wall battens


Clad wall ready to be primed and painted

The side walls have been lined with 6 mm thick MDF sheets.   Ply or cladding would have been better for these but I just need a flat surface on which to stick down wallpaper.  Yes, you heard right, I am wallpapering my shed!  Madness maybe but then again, why not?

 

Side walls need a flat surface suitable for wallpaper


6mm thick MDF sheets used as cladding


Flat surface ready to prime and paper

For the side walls I’ve chosen this lush tropical wallpaper called Holden’s Lemur, a beautiful rich teal background with accents of black, white, greens and yellows.  I think it will be an amazing contrast to a black wall.  I was lucky enough to get it for the absolute bargain price of £3 per roll from Ebay and I’m sure it will look stunning once up.

 

Holden Lemur teal wallpaper

Recycling being a key feature of many of our home improvement projects, I’m using the quirky glass fronted cabinets that were stripped out of the kitchen to contain all those fossils I lovingly collected from Kimmeridge Bay many years ago.  It’ll be a fitting resting place for them. 

Once finished it’ll be a real treat to go scouting for stuff at the bottom of the garden.  All I need now is a bit of dry weather and some higher ambient temperatures and it’ll be all systems go.  You’ll be able to watch the transformation from shed to emporium of curiosities over the coming weeks/months.


No comments: