Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

CARROT CRAZY

If only carrots could make you see in the dark, I’d save a fortune on my leccy bill!

Sad to say this is another one of those old wives’ tales that allegedly came about during the war years to encourage kids to eat their carrots since there was little else available for dinner.

 

Mr Carrot comes to dinner

As well as adding a zingy dash of colour to your dinnerplate, carrots are tasty and full of healthy nutrients so perhaps those old wives weren’t wrong after all.  

I love the sweet crunchy taste of carrots and my little patch of orangey goodness has already produced a plentiful amount of vitamin packed roots that I intend to squirrel away for the winter.

 

Harvesting our carrot crop

It’s quite easy to freeze home grown carrots.  For the best flavour, I tend to pick and freeze on the same day.  Simply boil up a pan of lightly salted water.  Wash your carrots taking care to get rid of mud/earth and any rooty bits then chop into neat slices.  Carefully drop the sliced carrots into the boiling water.  Leave to boil for 2 minutes then drain thoroughly, spreading the drained carrots out on a tray to dry for about 20-30 minutes.  Once dry, place the carrots into a plastic container and pop into the freezer. 

 

Easy to freeze

Now I know some of you are sat there thinking ‘God, what a complete faff especially when you can buy a kilo of carrots for less than a pound.  Why bother?’  Yes, it’s true, I could just go to the supermarket and pick up a bag but the carbon footprint of my organically home-grown carrots is going to be considerably less than those you can buy in the shops plus they’ll taste miles better. 

 

Another little patch like this would be great

I’ve just sown a second batch of carrots called Autumn King that I hope will enable me to extend my crop well into the autumn months.  I hope I can get these to germinate before cooler weather sets in.


No comments: