Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

IN THE VOCAL ZONE

I’ve cornered the market in Vocalzone, small black liquorice like sweets for smokers, excessive chatter boxes and those with throat conditions.  Yes, there were a few raised eyebrows in the chemist as I cleared their shelf of its entire supply.  I can assure you this is not some devious banker’s ploy to drive up prices of pharmaceutical products in the stock market but just my way of easing the pain of that ‘just swallowed a razor blade’ feeling that generally comes with a sore throat.  Anyone who wants any Vocalzone best give me a shout. Or a tentative whisper if your throat is still a bit croaky.  I've chomped through about 2 boxes in a week.

Perfect for those who love to chat

It’s been a funny old fortnight.  Fighting back the lurgi has taken up most of my valuable gardening energy, the rest of which was spent picking cockles in the dark.  It might seem a bit bonkers scrabbling around in sand in the twilight looking for cockles at this time of year but it did my cold the world of good.  Perhaps the government could find another couple of spare million quid to fund a study on the revolutionary cold curing properties of picking shellfish instead of donating our hard earned tax payer’s money to the local Uni so they can explore the relationship between chickens and humans.  Give me a tenner and I’ll provide you with a concise report on this relationship on my return from the KFC!
  
Cockle shell

What’s also been funny is this year’s vegetable growing.  I’m sure I’m not the only gardener scratching their head out there, trying to figure out why a second crop of mange-tout has decided to magically sprout forth after all the dead plants were cleared away.  Is this some kind of veggie Lazarus phenomenon I should be aware of?  My confused pea plants are now 6 inches high and happily growing in the plastic covered veg bed.  What I’d like to know is, will they succumb to the autumn weather or actually produce a second crop of peas?  Crazy huh!

Peas and beans are not the only thing that's grown in abundance this year.  2013 has also been a bumper berry year in Charminster.  Growing conditions were ideal for our blackberry beauties.  I’ve frozen the entire season's crop and can now look forward to a winter of crumbles, pies, strudels and loads of other tasty berry flavoured goodies.  It’s ten out of ten for blackberries as a value for money plant to grow,  I’ve more than recovered my investment and would definitely recommend the thornless varieties for anyone with a sunny unused corner in their garden.  

There's more where this came from

I find freezing blackberries is best done straight after picking.  You should pick them as soon as they've darkened but not so that they're too soft or squishy to touch.  Take off any stems and other debris then pop straight into a plastic airtight container.  Some folks freeze them on trays but if you are adding a small quantity per day into a large container, they should freeze separately rather than in one large lump.  Pop straight into crumbles or pies directly from the freezer, I don't usually bother to defrost as this turns them a bit mushy.


MORE ABOUT:



No comments: