Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Saturday, March 10, 2018

LET THEM EAT CAKE

In defiance of the Government’s anti-Fatist state and my gallstones, I’ve decided to host a protest Mother’s Day afternoon tea.  I’ve chosen all my favourite treats before they become outlawed:  smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwiches, coconut macaroons, Battenburg cake and chocolate mini eggs.  No doubt all of the above are probably on a list that’s being drawn up by an over-sized, over-paid Government lackey as items not to be consumed by those with a BMI higher than the limit imposed on diesel emissions.  Well I’d rather chain myself to the railings outside No 10 than give up jammy dodgers!

Sugery snacks - soon to be worse than smoking

I think it’s only fair to indulge myself tomorrow as I’ve burnt off a zillion calories today putting the first coat of paint on the dado rail and stair spindles so cake is definitely on the menu. 

What a difference some paint makes

Painting the dado rail

One coat of paint and already the spindles are looking incredible, all the old chips and scuffs gone in the swirl of a brush.  I’ve used Dulux quick dry satinwood paint in Jasmine White as I’m not a lover of ultra-shiny gloss paint, preferring a mid sheen finish instead.  This paint goes on quickly, easily and is far less smelly than gloss albeit not cheap at £18.50 for only a small 750 ml tin. I think it's also a less clinical colour than brilliant white.

Jasmine White - Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood paint


The contrast between the dark stained handrail and the spindles is lovely and will look super smart once the second coats of both paint and varnish have been applied.  

Looking good after only 1 coat


No comments: