Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Monday, April 02, 2018

COUCH POTATO (Not)

Calm down!  Calm down!  The scallies at the University of Liverpool have just published research spuriously claiming that it only takes a fortnight of couch surfing for you to be on the slippery slope to an early grave.  So I’m sitting here wondering if I can find a way to capitalise on this illuminating piece of media spin namely to get early retirement on the basis that my office job is now as bad for you as a holiday in Chernobyl.

Walk to work?  Of course I could, after all the office is only a mere 10 miles away from home.  I might have to leave a bit earlier in the morning (say 5 am) and spend about £9,000 on a future knee replacement operation but it would be a small sacrifice to make if I want to live to be a hundred.

Better still, I could persuade my boss to outsource my job to Mumbai where they seem less bothered about the population’s inactivity levels or put in a business case for automated treadmills to be fitted under each desk so that pen pushers like me could spend the day spinning about like a hyperactive hamster whilst sitting at the PC.

Shame on you Daniel Cuthbertson!  Nobody wants to go back to washing their sheets in a bathtub and wringing them through a mangle just to keep fit or satisfy the current trend for fat bashing.  I dare say there are those out there who could do with a bit of a rocket under their arses but if I found any potatoes on my couch there’d be all hell to pay as we have a ‘no eating in front of the telly’ policy here.

Perhaps your research grant would have been better spent examining the correlation between the inability to lose weight and all the antibiotics/steroids that are pumped into the meat we eat.  If the animals we consume are super-sized thanks to all the Franken-food they’re given then what hope is there for those that then tuck into these beasts? 

“Don’t just flop on the sofa at the weekend” advice printed in The Times on Good Friday.  Sofa?  If only I could but after two solid days of painting wallpaper, my joints are tighter than MI6’s recruitment policy and if I sat down, I’d probably need a forklift to help me back up again.  Now pass me a crème egg.  

Painting wallpaper

Extendable pole for those hard to reach places

Upstairs hallway done

Nutmeg white very subtle wall colour

One step closer to completion


No comments: