Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO

Bring on the technical revolution!

I want to be replaced by a robot with a brain the size of a planet that makes me look like I have the processing capability of a postage stamp.  Rejoice in redundancy!  In the future, we may not have any money but at least we’ll have personal freedom – the freedom to wake when we want to, dress how we like and squander our time on aimless pursuits such as counting cars (oh hang on, I think people actually get paid for doing that).

Life - just when you think it can't get any worse 

I want to be one of those 50 something’s who save far more towards holidays than healthcare.  I’d rather be swimming with real sharks (as opposed to battling those in financial institutions) and saving my energy (not to pay for extortionate utility bills or crazy renewable power schemes) but to climb to the top of some near extinct volcano.  Given the choice between an adventure holiday in some exotic location or Tena Lady and support tights, I know where those spare 5p’s will be going. 

Got any spare change?

Alas when it comes to automation,  it’s one step forward, two steps back in our office where ‘Those Who Call The Shots’ have decided to buy us an off-the-shelf IT system that falls surprisingly short of the term ‘artificial intelligence’.  Being 4 foot nothing, if I buy an off-the-shelf pair of jeans at least I know I can hem them when I get home.  However, in the corporate world when you buy an off-the-shelf IT system then if you’re a one legged midget you’re destined to spend the rest of your working life tripping up on a super-sized leg length.  Enhancements cost money and like common sense, this appears to be something in short supply at our workplace.

Bring on the technical revolution!  My office PC is being replaced by a system with the processing capability of a postage stamp that will make me look like I have a brain the size of a planet.  It will triple my workload and lessen my productivity.  It will make my grey hairs greyer, the air bluer with profanity and probably lead to a staff exodus that Moses would be jealous of. 

The real cost of technology


Do I care?  Not really as I’ll be saving all my loose change for an all adventure holiday in a far flung (non-automated) corner of the planet.

No comments: