Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

HO! HO! HEATING

Twas the week before Christmas when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse and that’s because they were all huddling under the duvet trying to keep warm whilst the new heating system is installed. 

To say it’s parky would be an understatement.  I’ve got fingerless mitts on, thermal socks and a nose that’s almost as red as Rudolph’s from sitting in front of the laptop, immobile like an ancient Sphinx whilst I update this blog.  Even my cuppa’s frozen over!


Out with the old and in with the new

Today has been a chaotic whirl of copper pipe plumbing, woodchip stripping and bannister scraping but now the house has descended into silence.  Gone is the familiar gurgling of water trickling round the rads, gone is the plumber with his over-sized drill bits, gone is the other half for a cheeky hot shower back in Ringwood.  So it’s just little old me in the quiet and cold.  It's that quiet I can hear the old dear next door snoring in front of the telly.  Well okay maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration but I’m sure you get my drift, it’s definitely a silent night. 

Good progress has been made on the heating system.  After 2 days, all the new radiators have been hung in position and copper pipe replaced to most.  I’ve decided to change all the old rads with my favourite designer ones (Milano Aruba double panelled) from Best Heating.  An extravagant gesture but it’s not everyday you get to have a new heating system and I want radiators that chuck out loads of heat as well as look good. 

 

Hallway

Slim vertical radiator in lounge

Vertical radiator for the kitchen

Longer and lower radiator in the diner

Don’t tell Boris but I’m replacing the old boiler with a GAS combi boiler (Worcester 8000 Life) not because I don’t care about emissions or saving the planet but because it is the most economical way to heat a home.  Sorry but I’m not really convinced the new ‘greener’ heat pumps or hydrogen boilers are really going to save the world, they’ll just cost us all an arm and a leg.  I for one don’t want to spend the rest of my days wearing a 10.5 tog cardigan just to keep warm at home because I can’t afford to pay the heating bill.  Climate change is going to happen regardless of hydrogen boilers or not, it’s just the nature of our planet. 

Like the mice, I’m looking forward to snuggling under my goose down duvet with a few emissions of my own to keep warm.


Well she's not sharing my nest


1 comment:

WILLIE...! =(^..^)= said...

HeHe! Lovely hearing about your chaotic whirl
of copper pipe plumbing, woodchip stripping and
bannister scraping...as long as you get the final
result..Heat..!
And l do like those vertical radiators, never seen
them before..different!

And take care, that little robin might move in with
you very soon..has been known! :).

• ★ Merry ★* 。 • ˚
•。★ Christmas 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚| 田田 |門| ˚And a Happy New Year..
* Joy to all! ♫•*¨* Peace on Earth ♪♫•*¨*