Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Sunday, April 05, 2020

LIFE IN LOCKDOWN

Quick, ring NHS 111 your mother’s been taken ill – she’s cleaned the kitchen! Text message from the other half to the kids.  

In a household where cleanliness and Godliness are forced to co-exist in the equivalent of a continuous domestic ceasefire, I question my sanity at having to reach for the anti-bacterial spray more than twice a week.  If we don’t die of ‘sticky buns’ we’ll most likely perish from food poisoning in my over-zealous attempts to rid the kitchen counter of germs, liberally spraying everything in the vicinity with a liquid coating of disinfectant – apples, satsumas, bread, etc.  What do you mean I should clear the surfaces first?  Far too much effort!

With that extra added flavour of anti-bac

We’ve survived the second week of lockdown thanks to Ebay and the odd, sneaky trip to Wilko’s for essential items such as metal lampshades, paint rollers and wallpaper paste.  Without DIY or online selling, I swear I would have gone mad or committed murder. 

Silver metal lampshade definitely an essential item

Social distancing has not really been an issue as generally I hate people so giving them a wide berth is pretty much the norm most days.  Yes, I’m that annoying person who agrees to social engagements then cancels at the last minute because I can’t be bothered to change out of my PJs or leave the house. More than happy to keep myself to myself, thank you very much.  Stay more than 5 metres away if you don’t mind or better still, round the corner where I can’t see you.

Life in lockdown is certainly weird.  Still waiting for news from the estate agent on our pending offer for the Biddy Bungalow so either they’ve died from the virus or their client has.  Job applications also appear to be on hold at the moment as recruiters are unable to interview in person or train you if you’ve been hired.  (There was me thinking it was because I was old and useless that everyone has turned down my applications).  It’s certainly strange times we’re living in.

On a more positive note, we’ve finished the office refurbishment and I can now blog with a prime window-side view of the street which certainly makes it a great deal more comfortable for spying on the neighbours.  Over the past few days, I’ve seen who’s been out shopping, who’s had visitors (naughty) and who’s been living off takeaway meals.  It’s like living in a soap opera. 

New look home office


Next week, DIY efforts are to be focussed on the main entrance hallway.  This will be given a good lick of paint in a bid to make it look as bright and clean as possible.

No comments: