Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

FENCING

Following on from my last post, 5 appears to be the magic number and I’m not talking loaves or fishes but fencing. 

 

Five old fence panels to be replaced

With vertical closeboard panels

Reading this blog, you might think I spend most of my time fooling around typing up a load of nonsensical blather about this, that or the other but I can assure you that when not pounding the keyboard or shouting from my soapbox about parking or politics, efforts are being channelled into landscaping the back garden. 

Last week’s brief respite from wintery downpours saw me throw down the gauntlet to challenge the dilapidated wooden fence foe into the fight of the century.  Kapow!  Take that, you rotten bugger!  


Beating the crap out of the old fence panels

Kerrunch!!  Yeah, that’ll teach yer!  My kung fu fence fighting skills are legendary in this neighbourhood I’ll have you know and after a few satisfying karate kicks, the old fence was truly smashed to smithereens.

 

Putting the boot in

And the fencing champion is ...

Five fabulous new fence panels have now been installed along the side boundary, this time with no tantrums from either me or the elderly neighbour who actually rang to say she really liked it.  


Out with the old fence


And in with new concrete posts and gravel boards


New fence panels ready for painting


Of course, the fence story is far from finished as now it all needs painting to match the rest of the garden. 

Whilst I did battle against the wooden warrior, the other half has been busy putting the finishing touches to the new raised flower bed on the corner of the patio.


Raised flower bed enclosing the corner of the patio


Ready to be filled with soil

There's now a low retaining wall along the side border which means that once the fence is painted, I can get on with the business of planting up. 

But in the meantime, there’s a mountain of displaced soil to sieve to top up the new flower bed and border. 

 

No stone left unturned

Yes, I’ve been grubbing in the dirt all week like an oversized aardvark in a bid to rid the garden of as many stones as possible.  This is proving to be a tiresome endeavour since there are more stones than soil.  I’ve already filled at least 5 rubble sacks. 

 

I foresee a trip to the tip ....

Are we nearly there yet?


No comments: