Ugh! Asbestos. It’s the bane of everyone’s DIY life. Can’t drill it, scrape it, cut it, sand it or do anything to it other than look at it. If the sort you have is ultra-toxic then apply for a second mortgage if you want to replace it with anything safer. You’re stuck with this bugger for life.
The exterior soil stack pipe was flagged on our survey as being made of the dreaded ‘A’, the norm in properties built around the late fifties/early sixties. Houses in those days were built from materials designed to last decades. Nobody gave the slightest thought to the potential impact of degrading asbestos on the health of house-owners until now.
Our soil stack pipe whilst in sound condition looks awful. Paint peeling like leprosy exposing patches of grey material most likely asbestos cement. In an ideal world, I would have scraped off the patchy black stuff then re-painted the pipe in either Hammerite or some other waterproof exterior pipe paint but no can do. To attempt such a thing might result in a fate worse than death.
| BEFORE - Awful pipe |
So, do I let sleeping asbestos dogs lie or do I find someone who can replace the soil stack in the safest way possible? But without it costing me an arm and a leg…
Our builder assures me his plumber is up for the job and can replace the pipe taking all safety or waste disposal considerations into account. Okay. I smile hesitantly before retreating indoors, shutting every window so that no A-dust can get inside and kill me. OMG the lad’s not even wearing a face-mask!!!
| Old soil stack removed |
One aspect of replacing a soil stack pipe that is perhaps not immediately obvious to plebs like me is that the task involves connecting the new plastic waste pipe to the back of your toilet.
| New pipe has to connect to loo |
Sounds simple enough but when your loo is of the back-to-wall type incorporated into a fitted unit then be prepared to have your toilet trashed in order to accomplish this because a plumber/builder will need to reach the back of the pan.
| OMG! My beautiful toilet unit |
Horror of horrors – just look at our loo! I really hope they know how to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Good job I’ve got a downstairs cloakroom or I might have to spend the day in the Spoons nursing one of those bottomless coffees in case I need a pee. Aside from the occasional sneaky peak, I’m keeping well out of it.
After what seems like hours of banging, crashing and scurrying upstairs, I’m summoned to inspect their handiwork. Phew! The toilet immaculately assembled. If I hadn’t snuck upstairs earlier, I would be none the wiser.
| You'd never know they'd been here |
As the upper part of the wall is yet to be cladded then only the bottom half of the soil stack has been replaced with a nice sturdy plastic pipe.
| New pipes to be connected together |
Waste water pipes from handbasin and shower temporarily plumbed in with new pipes which will eventually be joined into the main soil stack rather than run as separate pipes as had been the case previously.
So far so good. Only the cladding remains to be done. Let's hope I don't have to wait too long for that part of this project to be completed.
No comments:
Post a Comment