Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Saturday, June 27, 2020

GNOCCHI YOURSELF OUT

Cooking has provided me with endless joy and therapy over the years.  That culinary symphony of snips, chops, sizzle and mix is guaranteed to put a smile on your face and a rumble in your belly.  Mmmm - if only you could bottle the smell of freshly baked bread or steaming casserole or turn it into a Venison Ragout scented Yankee candle.

Inspiration comes from many sources (sauces?).  There’s the good old ‘just chuck it all in a pan’ voyage of discovery or there are the mouth-watering photos in cookbooks, quirky little YouTube videos or cooking made easy TV programmes such as Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Cookery Course which I’ve been compulsively watching whilst clacking away on my latest knitting project.

Homemade gnocchi with peas and parmesan not only sounds delicious but looked relatively simple to prepare or at least that’s the case when Gordon does it.


Only looks good from a distance

So I made up my gnocchi ‘dough’ as per the recipe then dropped each piece into a pan of boiling water.  Are these ‘floaters’ supposed to resemble wet clumps of recycled toilet tissue?  Maybe they’ll look amazing after a pasta perma-tan in the frying pan. 


Pan fry your gnocchi parcels

Have you ever tried to fry gnocchi?  Well if you haven’t done it before let me tell you that these little potato parcels are slippery buggers.  Flipping them over so they don’t break is almost as challenging as a one legged man with no fingers bending down to tie his shoelaces.  Mine ended up looking like a dog’s dinner.  No hang on, even Pedigree Chum looks like sirloin when compared to this mess.

Keep the faith.  Maybe once I’ve added the grated lemon zest, peas and parmesan cheese it’ll look as tasty as Gordon’s.  Actually no but if I close my eyes when I taste it then I can imagine it does.  And talking of taste – seriously if I wanted to eat spicy mashed spuds and peas then I could have just chucked it all in a pan to make bubble & squeak which would have been easier.  Next time, its packet gnocchi.

This sorry mess only tasted of potato - texture awful


Marks out of ten?  Sorry Gordon, this dog’s not even out of the trap in the race to win over my taste buds.  Here’s the best place for this recipe.


Always recycle unwanted recipes


2 comments:

WILLIE...! =(^..^)= said...

HeHe! Nice post...
I'll try and keep my comment AS clean as
is possible..! :).
Gordon Ramsey like Donald Trump is mentally
ill..he's foulmouthed..Ah! Better stop there..
Oh! And how many times did he break Lockdown
rules recently..! :(.
Put it this way..if l was driving my car, and
he was crossing the road in front of me..l know
which peddle my foot would be on..! :).
But then..he's made millions acting and behaving
like he does..His personal wealth at the momment
is..$220,00....
But! Personally l would'nt drink a cup tea he had
made..! :(.

I was five years old when l started making gnocchi,
sat up in my high chair..and, playing and making
things with dough way before that..Sicilian boys
are raised the same as the girls..over here you'd
find it hard to find an English girl that can cook!
I was a single parent for 14yrs, l raised my daughter
on my own, taught her to cook, sew, craft, do hair,
and generally raise her to be a lady...she's 43yrs
of age now..settled and respected in ALL she does...
I'm so proud of her..give my life for her...! Amen!

Oh! Can l suggest go to Lidl for packets of Gnocchi di
Patate.....The brand name 'Italiamo' make it..One packet
will feed two..!

New Jersey Minx said...

LOL. Love that you can make gnocchi and admire that you have done all those things on your own which as a fellow single parent, I know how tough it can be. Thanks for the gnocchi tip, will look out for them next time I'm in Lidls. Keep Safe.