Pots and Cans

Pots and Cans

Thursday, April 25, 2024

ARUNDEL CASTLE PLANT FAIR

Brrrr! It’s so chilly. It’s almost May yet colder than an arctic roll. Thank goodness there’s a log fire to keep the frostbite at bay.

Big woolly knickers that’s the answer. I never leave the house without mine. I’ve put on an extra posh pair befitting a visit to Arundel Castle, home of some Lord Snooty or other who probably burns fivers to keep warm. At least he has the good sense to enjoy gardening and has organised a plant fair for the great unwashed like me (too cold to bathe).


Arundel Castle


Clearly a popular event judging by the queue at the entrance gate. 


Plant fair popular with the locals


I expect many people have come to see the marvellous tulip displays recently featured on an episode of Gardeners World but we’ve just come for a mooch round the plant stalls.  There's always something that catches the eye which you rarely come across in garden centres and I've already spotted a couple of plants which might be making their way home with me.


Red tulips as far as the eye can see


I have camassia envy! Lord Snooty has planted swathes of the blue variety around his nature reserve and they look stunning. 


Gorgeous woodland display of camassias


More eye-catching than bluebells


Starry blue clusters of camassia flowers


Lovelier than your average bluebell wood, the elegant tall fronds provide a colourful repose for butterflies and ladybugs.


Lazy ladybirds enjoying the sunshine


And just look at this lovely butterfly


My yellow ticket camassia’s have returned this year albeit not in the quantities of Arundel but I’m hoping that with time they’ll all multiply at the back of the border.


Last year's garden centre bargains


I may not have a castle sized garden yet my borders are not looking too shabby thanks to all the rain we’ve had this year.


Side border exploding into life


The pieris is in flower, its beautiful fire red leaves adding a vibrant splash of colour against the grey fence.


Beautiful pieris in flower


All those alliums I planted way back in the autumn are also on the point of flowering so we’ll have a random smattering of purple globes rising above the greenery. I can’t wait to see them!

Alliums getting ready to flower


While we wait for the alliums to flower, I'll leave you with a few more snaps of the lovely Arundel Castle nature reserve. 


Wish I could have a pond like this


Nesting swans prevented us from walking all the way round


Not sure what this tree is but it looked lovely with its lilac flowers


Gunnera manicata plant also known as Brazilian giant rhubarb



No comments: